Sunday, September 16, 2012

A PH.D. THESIS FOR CARNEGIE MELLON ENTITLED "THE ACTING & TEACHING OF ALVINA KRAUSE: THEORY AND PRACTICE by David Robert Press



Dr. David R. Press   (301)777-0540   dpress@atlanticbb.net

Never throw anything away!  I could remember this tear-out from the NU newspaper and even remember that David Press was writing a thesis, but I couldn’t find the scrap and when I’ve asked people who should know -- they gave me blank stares.   Today it fell out of an old file. I realize now that in the late Sixties there was for Alvina Krause a landslide, a civil war, a palace revolution, a firing squad, and a lot of expectations that went awry.  Her retirement was forced, after she had been assured it would not be, her house was taken, and a plan for a theatre company in Chicago did not work out.  People’s feelings got hurt.  No one knew quite what to do.  Then the Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble saved the day.

I’ve talked to Dr. David Press, who is retired after a long career, and I’ve bought the thesis as a PDF via the Internet.   The thesis is available through http://www.proquest.com which is a thesis archiving website.  $37   I’m on page 49.  David and his wife are going to travel until next week some time.   Their fiftieth wedding anniversary is coming up. A couple of years ago they saw David Pressman in an off-Broadway production.  Pressman’s wife was played by Deborah Monk, a former student of David Press.

This is very interesting to me.  When I finish reading the thesis, I’ll compose more about what and why.  But just let me say that now I begin to understand why no book was written and I have some ideas about where to go from here.  It looks to me as though it ought to be a group effort, but it would be a worthy and timely one.  Hopefully it would be resolving and reconciling in a number of ways.

Mary Scriver
1-406- 279-3429


No comments:

Post a Comment